Yesterday we were influenced by Dr. Phil. I say this because his show was on a method for potty training. After potty training our two older children and coming out successful, I really had no concerns about potty training our third child. You readers that are a stickler to the rules, hopefully you don't clench too hard when I tell you our past potty training method. Are you ready?...... Wait! Yes just wait. Wait until they are ready. Introduce them to the potty and then wait. Both of my older two children came around at about 2 and half years of age. I was told by others their children were potty trained at age one and it could be done. Yes I know it could be done but I have never been one to force. So you sticklers start clenching because my first child had a bottle at night until he was two and half years old. Hey he loved it and I was OK with him having it. He turned out just fine. I do think there is a difference from being too lazy to wean your children from their comforts and just being more relaxed or OK with waiting on your toddler to you know when he or she is ready. They all grow at different times and are all different people with different needs. With this being said I'm sure you can understand my some what surprise to L Claire's interest in her potty at such a young age. On the other hand as I said they all grow at different times so I could see this being her time. Well let me tell you what a ride it has been for us this past month. We bought the little cute froggy potty. The sweet princess panties and introduced L Claire to it all. She went once or twice then all she wanted to do was be naked. Yes that's right naked time all day long. As soon as I put clothes on her she pulls them off and to make matters worse she finds a nice corner to poo and pee pee in. One day she even used a kic. chair in place of her potty. Other then this she has been throwing everything from her shoes, panties and toys in the toilet. So I'm here thinking L Claire I don't think this is your time! Or even if it is, its not mommys time. I don't think I can clean up poo or retrieve toys from the toilet one more day. After feeling this way what do you know. Dr Phil's show is on potty training. His method is to be completely positive, as is mine. The next step is to have a baby doll that goes potty. Well I'm here thinking I have one of them. Ok whats next? He then says for you to have your child show the baby doll how to go to the potty. Each time the doll goes potty everyone sings and kisses the baby doll making a huge deal of it. Oh No wait Ill have to be right back, what do you know. She has done it again. Poo in the living room floor. This time she took her diaper off to do it. What am I to do?..... OK I'm back from cleaning the floor her and me up. Where were we? Yes the baby gets a big party for going potty. All this attention. Then you ask your child, Do you need to go potty as well? Of course making sure they have been filled with fluids. Repeat this method 9 times. No more no less. Are you wondering if it worked. Probably not after hearing about the poo adventure that took place in the living room a minute ago. To my surprise it did work on the 6th try. She wanted to use her potty finally. We clapped, we danced, we sang " Pee pee in the pottA". She was so proud of herself. We called grandma to tell her the news. She told grandma I poo,I poo. Just when we thought things were on track L Claire wakes up from her nap. A Beth her big sis goes in to say hello. All we could hear was this screeching yell. Here we all come running and what do we find????? Poo painted on the toys, walls, bed, chair and all over her. Before this is over I may need Dr. Phil's help more for my mental status then potty training....... Not really. I can handle it. I know its just a phase we will one day laugh about but until then if you come around and smell something peculiar, know that its not me its just the little mess I clean up after all day.

8 comments:
hey on the potty thing thats one thing that we did with abby was get the doll and it kinda worked, and what really got her is if she was naked she would go to the bathroom all day so for about 2 weeks or 3 weeks i let her run around naked and know what she has been fully trained for 2 whole weeks now and even sleeping in big girl panties and i started hard on her about a month and half ago. so if she really like being maked you might want to try that if you know no one is going to be coming over or jr is going to be in the other room, it sounds crazy but it worked for us the baby only did for about a week and shes 29 months old anyways just thought i would share with ya, oh and the bottle thing i totally agree i did not take abbys aways she gave it to me right before she turned 2...
I've been off and on training my baby lady for about 6 mths. I say off and on because I'm in rush. She's my last, and I don't want to rush anything♥ Lately shes been a "potty artist" to say nicely. I'm at a loss with that. Walls, toys herself! I don't want to diaper her she'll be 3 next month! So we're riding the smelly ups and downs. I just try to re explain accidents are ok but you can not play with it.
♥Glad I'm not the only one having this happen♥
I had a hard time with Justin going #2 in the potty. I bought at the time the new flushable wipes that Pampers had. They smelled different than a baby wipe, and they had a push button on the lid. He was excited about the "big" boy wipes. He was not allowed to push the button until he went. It worked.
Ok...the little artist thing...I have no help for you. That seemed to go on forever. I was very relieved when he quit...Good Luck!
Thank you all. As I know you mothers can understand. I can take all the help I can get. Today has started off better. She has now made it to the potty. Lets pray the rest of the day I will not have a little "potty artist" running around. I just love the idea of "potty artist" that sounds so much better.
she is such a mess
I was relaxed with pottying with mine...and my oldest was on a bottle until 2 1/2 as well. It hasn't warped him, and their teeth are all great too. My youngest did really good at a young age, and then relapsed, and didn't totally train until a few months later.
Potty Artist...oh my goodness, the cleaning up you had to do!! I believe, this is the age, with all 3 of mine, I went to the store in search of 24 month onsies so that my kids wouldn't strip their clothes....especially in the baby bed...that is where they did it the most.
The words I remember when you were 3 are "Mom, I don't think I want my bottle tonight". Ha I didn't get rid of the bottles for a long while. You always knew they were there, but you did not ask for one unless, you were sick, which was fine with me, it was a comfort to you and I wanted fluids in you anyway.
I guess this s why I am the mother I am today! Thanks mom I wouldent want it any other way and I tink I remember having a bottle even at age 10 when I was sick. LOL
Post a Comment