Some of you have asked about cloth diapering. I unfortunately didn't use cloth diapers with my first child and only some with our second. As soon as we were blessed with our third child, I knew this was something we wanted to do. It saves a great amount of money. I love seeing the soft cloth against my babies skin.
There is just something about using cloth that makes me feel the joy of simplicity. Doing my part to help along with using the natural gifts God has blessed us with. Ofcourse there is an up and down side to everything so I'm here to share with you what I personally have learned in my experiences with cloth diapering~ Here are the steps I have taken in order to use cloth diapers.
- I researched online. Obtaining cloth diapering knowledge I had no idea existed.
- I ordered a starter package online. From a site that I felt had the best deal at that time.
- We started off with the pocket diapers. Pocket diapers have a diaper made up of a pocket. The outer layer being water proof and the inner layer being fleece, keeping the baby dry. You fold a prefold and insert it in the pocket for absorbtion.
- They also have a variety of snaps to use depending on the size of the child. I love the idea of a diaper growing with your baby.
- Wet diapers I toss in our wet pale and wash after collecting a few.
- If we are dealing with a poopie, This is the most asked question. I simply dump the poo in the toilet. If needed Allen has added a sprayer to the back of our toilet. Next I toss it in with the wet diapers and wash them all together. ( I wash in hot water using our homemade soap)
- I made the mistake of drying some of our diapers in the dryer. This caused them to leak. I now know to hang dry. I put them on the line outside or just lay them over the clothes basket and kitchen chairs.
- Repeat
The Bad~
- Cloth diapers are pricey. They do pay off but you must have the money up front to get started.
- While away from home they can be a pain to store dirty, until making it back home.
- They do have to be washed and air dried. This takes time.
- They save you money
- They are soft and gentle to your babies skin
- They are natural not causing harm to the earth and living creatures
- They are adorable
- They do not leak overnight in the ways a disposable can
- They have a better more comfortable fit
- You can reuse them with future babies
- There is such a large variety to choose from
- You never run out of diapers
- They grow with your child
- You get paid back time and time over
Cloth Diapering links


22 comments:
Thumbs up! This is one of those things that I keep meaning to post about but keep procrastinating. :-) Some of my diapers (the Snap-EZ) are five years old, have been through three children, and are still going strong. Talk about saving money!
As always, your pictures are just wonderful. I love seeing fluffy bum pictures!
You have darling children! And I admire your cloth diaper stance; very environmentally helpful.
Enjoy your day! :-)
Hi Catherine,
I just found your blog and am enjoying it immensely. We have a number of interests in common, so I look forward to perusing your past posts over time.
I only started using cloth diapers on baby #6, and now I wish I could have a few more babies on whom I could use them! We use prefolds with prorap covers. Cheap, and they take less time to dry than the AIOs. I do have a few AIOs for convenience when we're out.
We are all out of diapers here...but had I been a blogger when my kids were in diapers I sure would have given this a try. So many are using them. Very cool. Cute pictures too:)
You are brave. I was all about disposable. The cloth diapers seemed so complicated to me. Maybe I would try them if I had it to do over again.
I can't wait to use cloth diapers later on in life when we adopt:) Can't wait!! Love you!
cloth is the best!
I do use disposable from time to time though.
I have enjoyed catching up on your blog after being so behind on posting and reading.
Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
(How is Allen's hand healing?)
Adorable baby pics! Good for you for using cloth diapers!!
Oh my goodness, those pictures are adorable!! I love your blog and your family is beautiful! Have a great Thanksgiving! :)
I am glad I read this : ) because sometimes when I read about mothers who do this...I think they might be a little crazy! But since you are SO normal and cool, and your post was so well written, I see the beauty of them. I think when we have a baby (if Gary EVER agrees!) we will use cloth diapers at home for sure: )
I love the cloth nappies too. but the cost of the new shaped ones as you say is high. we only have a few and if I don't stay on top of the washing I don't have enough.
then I fall back on the disposable as I keep forgetting about the old folded ones we have had for our older children. It is the pilchers that is the killer with these ones.
I have enjoyed visiting.
Thanks for sharing.
Dear Catherine,
I forgot to mention that I just found your blog and am really enjoying visiting. There seems to be so many interests that we share.
I will have to take my time to review all the past posts, too much to view all in one sitting.
God Bless
these pictures are absolutely adorable, just thought I'd tell you that! And while I do not have children thank you for sharing about cloth diapering, I hope to try it when the time comes for me to have kids :)
Thank you all for stopping in and sharing your kind thoughts~ ME
Gorgeous portrait work! :)
Thank you so much!
I really thought about doing this with my last little one. She's still in diapers so I suppose I still could. I actually tried to sew my own diapers, but was never satisfied with them. Probably, I just should have monied up and as you say in the long run I would have saved money.
I'm a little behind in reading this, but after diaper service with the first five, and now the third in disposables, I'm looking to go back to cloth. Thanks for the websites.
Kathy
Thank you for posting this I have been thinking about trying cloth diapers when I have my first baby in June!
Happy to help~
Catherine, I am thinking of using cloth diapers. I read your post but was wondering what brand you prefer over the other. I've done a lot of research and am leaning towards bum genius. Our family wants to get us something for the new baby and since they are so pricey, I thought this would be perfect. Also what do you do about wipes and what sort of wet bag (if any) do you use.
Thanks a million!
Love in Christ,
Amanda
Post a Comment