Friday, January 1, 2010

Life lessons

I want to share with you some of our ups and downs or maybe you can call them life lessons. Lessons when it comes to our plans. This would have been me a few winters ago..... "I knew it was coming, it comes every winter. The time of year we are stuck. Stuck in the home. The kids are climbing the walls and everything outside is dead. As I have stated before we live in a tiny home. I can usually deal with the small area we live in. This part of the year I want to pull my hair out. During spring, summer and fall we stay outside. We have all the space we need on our land. There is nowhere for any of us to go during the winter. I'm sure you are thinking why not buy a larger home to go with your full family? Its not that easy for us. We have decided to make the sacrifice of being an one income family so that I can stay home with our children. This world is almost not made for one incomes family." Wow how negative and ungrateful I sounded...
Funny where life leads you. Is this why they say if you want to make God laugh tell him your plans. I guess so. Allen became very sick with ulcerative colitis. It is a disease he will always have. He just has flare ups and downs. Last flare up lasted about 8 months and the one before this was a full year. Months of pain, steroids, weekly blood work, testing and even Chemo medication. We are blessed and thankful he healed through them. We pray for his UC to stay in remission. Allen is now on a much stricter diet along with medication. This was a big set back when it came to our plans. At the time I couldn't see what God was wanted us to see. I was frustrated but mostly scared. Now looking back I see the Lord granting Allen this cross with love so that Allen and I both can grow in him. Clearing our minds to what matters. I also believe he was teaching me the beauty of simplicity. To be truly thankful for what we have at this time. He was teaching me this because I would need it. Need it to be at peace with this long over due step in our lives. We bought a mobile home 9 years ago and put it on land with plans to build our house. It was just the two of us with a baby on the way. We were young branching out into this real world. We had so much to learn. After Allen became sick and our world became filled with stress. I had to let go and give it God. I then had to prioritize. I started cutting back where I could. Doing our best to make our money last. Planning ahead, cooking in bulks and even growing some of our own foods. As we disciplined ourselves to this new lifestyle it made us very happy. We didn't need all the things we thought were necessities. We were truly falling in love with simplicity. Growing closer to the the Lord with each day. I still become stressed over our small corners but am quickly reminded of my blessings. Over the years we have done all we can to make our home our own. Painting, taking walls down, replacing doors and floors. Doing what we could after knowing our plan was going be stretched out a few years longer. I find comfort and happiness leaning on God, living frugal and happily simple. As for now we have three years left on our mortgage plan. A plan that includes us putting back our own money for a down payment to our next home. Three years is not long. Some days it feels as if its a lifetime away, but really my baby will be three this year. Time does fly and before we know it we will be one appreciative family in our frugal home that fits just right. For now I will be living and learning threw this gift of simplicity... Thank you Lord.
Ill leave you with a few photos of our home... Blessings Catherine

18 comments:

shannon said...

Very nicely put. I am very guilty of wanting more and wanting it now!
We built our house 7 years ago, and then added on a bonus room a few years later. I have been hounding Doug to build me a bigger house for about 2 years now. Why? he always asks. All 3 kids have their own room and a play room. I always just tell him because that's what I WANT! I have visions in my head of my "dream home" Well I finaly realized this IS my dream home! Because we are all here and healthy and happy, and I have decided to sit back and be thankful for what I have instead of always wanting what I don't have. And if the time comes that we can sell this house and build another then it will happen, but until then I am going to be thankful for what I have.

Diana Ferguson said...

Catherine,

This was a great post! Your words and photos say it all!!

Thanksgiving is not just a holiday. It's a way of life. And contentment is such a blessing. You have learned both! Your family will forever be impacted by your sweet spirit!

Maura said...

Great post I need to remember this more! I am always telling B to be thankful for what he has and sometimes I forget myself.

Maura said...

btw I LOVE your kitchen!!

Regan Family Farm said...

Contentment is so crucial, not only for us as wives and mothers, but for the sake of our children, and the happiness of our husbands. I am forever working on this attitude of the heart. I love knowing others pursuing the same goals!
Love, Kathy

Lisa said...

You can make the most of what you have, and you have a lovely home. There is a very sweet country song I heard a long time ago that says something to the effect of "Love grows best in little houses with no walls to separate." I agree wholeheartedly.

The Lord always has something to teach us, and sometimes we don't realize what it is until after the fact. I see his hand a lot when I look back on the experiences.

Taylor said...

You have a beautiful home. It doesn't matter how big or small it is it's the love that it is filled with that makes it what it is.

Leslie said...

your home is beautiful. thank you for being so open and sharing your thoughts. i crave more simplicity, but don't always know where to find it.

Andrea said...

Thank you for allowing me to journey through your life with you. I am blessed by your precious and sweet spirit and by your recognition of GODS perfect plan and timing. So many do NOT get that HIS timing is "always" perfect.
Blessings, andrea

TanyaLea said...

I think consumerism and the 'want more' syndrome has hit us all more times than we care to admit! Such a good lesson here. There is something stressful in living in 'want' all the time. That is why the Bible tells us: "set your affections on things above" ..because that is where true happiness and contentment are found.

And clearly you have been a VERY good steward of your blessings, as your home looks great!! Indeed, the next family will be blessed there, too!

Hugs,
Tanya

wife.mom.nurse said...

a seriously great post.

something I need to put more though and prayer into.

Thanks for sharing :)

Nadja said...

We've a big house and 6 kids, but even this house seems small by February! I've been putting off giving the older boys their own room (there are 4 boys in 2 bunk beds in one room) because I hate the idea of giving up the playroom--I feel like I need it in the winter!

BTW, my sister has ulcerative colitis and only found out two years ago when she was finally hospitalized for a flare up. God bless him--it certainly is a cross to bear.

Darcie said...

I loved this post. I am truly a simple girl at heart, and yet we live in a home where you would not think that. But we have done so much soul searching because we don't quiet fit into our neighboorhood. (long story) That said...simple is good and we are looking at making steps that will lead us to a simple life.

kim said...

I love how you call it life lessons. Thats a good term. we have a lot in common, really.

We have had 3 homes but they were all teeny tiny by most American's standards. I also made the decision to stay home with the kids when we were first married. I feel like I gave up soooo many material things and finacial security by doing so; unknowingly almost. I didn't know what I was in store for when I made that decision 13 years ago. Its not negative its just the truth. One income families are very rare in America.

Coupled with the fact that dh has had numerous health problems as well, even cancer in 2000, we have definately struggled financially.

and like you we are so couped up here in the winter too!

your home is very nice.

Tobi said...

My husband and I had some really tough trials that humbled us. Which led my husband to joining the Army. MANY blessings have come from that decision.

Catherine Anne said...

Thank you all so much!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this post. I needed a kick in the pants. :) Jan and Feb are very hard here too...the kids are stir crazy and so is mom and dad! BTW I love your baby bellies on the wall. I wish I would have done that! So cool.

noelle said...

thank you for visiting my blog. i came over here to visit you...

i have to say that reading through some of your posts has made me feel refreshed. we've recently stopped going to church because of some problems with the youth leader there and, needless to say, i've been feeling a little discouraged. some of your posts have lifted me up...thank you for sharing your faith! you have inspired me!

i'll be back!