Tuesday, August 11, 2009

How To Photograph Your Baby...


How To Photograph Your Baby... I thought this would be fun. Here are a few tips and ideas I want to share with you. Do you want to create beautiful photographs of that little person in your life? If so, lets talk!
 I am one that appreciates natural lighting.  All you need is a decent point and shoot camera, a window or a door, a plain background and of course that baby you cant get enough of.
Lets talk about a whole new approach
Most of us have photo albums full of snapshots and yes snapshots are priceless.  I want you to consider you taking a beautiful photograph of your little one that you may feel only a well talented photographer could create.

The Basic Photo Session
Find a place with beautiful lighting. Not direct sunlight. Natural lighting. Near a large window or door. Turn off your flash and get ready to shot more than you ever have at one time. I'm talking even a hundred shots in thirty minutes. Your ending goal will be to find just a few from your many shots that you will treasure forever.

To Start Shooting
Make sure you and your little one are both rested, no one is hungry and I think it's best when you are home alone. Get Closer ,Amateur photographers almost always stand too far from their subjects. Get closer then get even closer. There are so many snap shoots I see with the baby lost in the middle of the living room. If you want a photograph of the living room then take a photo of your living room, but if you want a photograph of your baby then fill your view finder with baby. You'll soon realize that you have found a way to express your love when you are amazed by your first print out of close-ups.
If you only pull this tip from all of the tips in this post your photographs will go from snap shoot to frame quality.

Backgrounds
It's best to find a simple background. Make sure your baby is the subject reflection from this photograph, not the TV, lamp, street sign etc.
Just Go For It
Don't think too much when your shooting just go with it. I promise you will have captured moments you didn't even realize.
Lets talk about your flash
Your flash was put there to make it easy in producing your photographs. Unless you have professional lighting I'm willing to bet your flash is destroying your photographs. So lets turn off that flash. When I say destroying your photographs I'm saying this because a flash is direct and harsh lighting. It's not faltering smooth and natural.
Tip- With the flash being turned off remember to hold your camera as still as possible this way you can get the clearest photograph.
Just the right light
As I mentioned before find a doorway, the garage, the porch, the car, the window. Where ever you can find a nice natural lighting that is not direct and harsh. Everything is ready, now work with me baby~
Tips
>Nothing is worse than having tons of people in the background with toys, funny expression and talking overwhelming your little one. This is why it is best to have you or just one other  getting the attention of your little one. After experimenting with this you will find a few things that work best with your baby and note that as they grow those things will change. When I do want my baby to smile this has been something all three of them have loved. I put a stuffed animal on my head and just before I shoot I move my head the stuffed animal falls off and I say uh-oh!
>Crying , drooling, and sneezing is OK. They too can make beautiful natural memories to treasure.
>Stop to feed your baby and if needed
>Get that baby naked. There is nothing that is as smooth as baby skin.
>Find your babies best time of the day.
>Remember not only faces make a photograph. Get those ears, hands, feet etc.
>Know your camera
Now Go And Create Something You and Your Baby Will Treasure Forever.
I would love to hear about the beautiful photographs you create...
More tips~ You would not believe the amazing tips you find just browsing through the book store photography section.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tips
-BT

Regan Family Farm said...

Just read this...wish I had known this 16 years ago :)
Like I've said before, you are miles ahead of me!
Hugs,
kathy

Catherine Anne said...

I always enjoy your photograhs~ Blessings Catherine