Sunday, January 31, 2010

The ice storm and too many photographs~

As I posted the other day we have been under a rather large ice storm. Those of you in the northern states that mainly get snow in the winter.You probably are not as familiar with ice storms as we have been. Everything around you pretty much becomes an ice sculpture. The problem is the weight of the trees that end up breaking on the power lines. This time we were out of power for near 19 hours. I called Allen at work to tell him the news of our electricity. He then came home with a generator. The generator didn't run our whole house but it did keep the frig, a few lights and heat in the house going... What a blessing. If not we would be bunking at someones house with heat. We did enjoy our time playing games, visiting, I got to read more than I usually get to, we played in the ice and dusting of snow. The kids spent a lot of time coloring. Sitting there the first night my thoughts drifted off to how it must have been long ago. The simplicity was refreshing. I have to say going off the grid would be more challenging then I had thought. Sadly we are spoiled to many of our lives convenience. I also thought of the ice storm of 2000. It was a bad one. Many outages lasting a week or two. Little Man was only a month old. We stayed warm in our kitchen beside the cook stove. We stored cold foods out on the porch in tubs and ice chest. This time around was a breeze compared to that. After hours of day drifting, reading, coloring and games we decided to go walk around target. When we made it back home what do you know we had a street light beaming bright waiting for us beside our driveway. YAY we all celebrated electricity and warm showers~ Its nice to be getting back to normal!

28 comments:

Kayla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
christy rose said...

Glad your power was not out as long this time around. Love all of these pictures

He & Me + 3 said...

Yes, warm showers after having no power is a blessing. Loved all the pictures and thank God the power is back on. Stay warm.

Jocelyn said...

Glad you have power again. Your snow pics are adorable!

Allison said...

Oh yuck, having no power in winter is horrible! One winter mine went out, I had to trudge through a snow storm to my college to sit in their student union, since I didn't have anywhere else to go.

I really love that photo of the barbed wire!

Brandi said...

Fantastic pictures! I'm absolutely freezing now after looking at them! ;) Glad your power is back on. Stay warm!

Kathryn said...

Love the photos, that first one is especially cute!!

Jenilee said...

gorgeous... isn't ice pretty? well, cold and not always fun but pretty anyway! :) glad your power is back on!

Dagmar said...

Heavenly smokes....this is surreal. I am totaly in love with the pictuer of your family hands (gives me an idea, thanks). and the one with the branches of berries full with ice....
I'll bet you were all glad to enter the warmth of your home again.
Dagmar

sara said...

The slide/sunshine pic is precious!!!

Jeremi said...

These are some wonderful pictures!! Really enjoyed looking at each one : )

Glad your power wasn't out for too long.

Darcie said...

What an opportunity for some VERY cool and unique pictures.

We had our fair share of ice storms when we lived down in the mid-south...they are beautiful in their own way..however they are also dangerous. Glad all is ok!

T.J. said...

Glad the power wasn't out for too long- love those written words in the snow!

Seizing My Day said...

I love ice storms... only seen 2 or 3 in my 39 years! You are a brilliant photographer! Love the hands and feet pics... (shocker I am sure since my button is a foot print in the sand!) and I love the wind chime picture! Bea-U-t-Eeee-ful!!!
Stay warm!
Jenn~

Lisa said...

All that ice is sure beautiful. We lived without power once during an ice storm. Gratefully we had a wood burning fire place and lots of wood to keep us warm during those 18 hours. Going to the potty was cold business, though.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the comment and the encouragement. You are right, and there will be more to think about as they get older as well. I guess I will leave it all in God's hands! :) Yes, now that we know it's a boy, it is all becoming more real. Have a great day!

Elle Bee said...

What beautiful photos! I love all the words you wrote in the ice. The picture of the boots next to the pretty swirls in the ice was really nice.

Taylor said...

Love the shot of Family and the hand prints! Looks like everyone was having fun.

Unknown said...

I always think the ice on the tree branches is so pretty but yes, it can be pretty disastrous. Stay warm!!

p.s. the photo of the word "sunshine" on the slide is GREAT!

Jenn said...

Hi... me again... I am a rookie... and I have 2 blog sites... (one for names sake) and My google account likes the one I don't use best! if you have tried to 'visit' me .. you may have not found me!?! ;) My rookie mistake is out of the closet now! I am actually at www.seizingmyday.com ;)
not the blogspot address google connect is sending folks to!
Nothing like leaving comments all over blogland with the wrong url! I am humbly visiting everyone I am following and um... well ... hope you visit me at my 'real' blog one day! :) Jenn

Anonymous said...

Thank you all and Jenn I found your blog and loved it...
Catherine

Anonymous said...

Oh such fun pictures ~ I like them lots!

Catherine Anne said...

Thank you Catherine

Mom of these kids said...

These pictures are just beautiful!! I love you idea of writing the names on the slides and stuff...that is so creative!

Catherine Anne said...

Thanks Maury!!!!

{darlene} said...

What GREAT pics. Thanks for sharing all 'too many' of them!

Anonymous said...

Your photos are breath taking.

Catherine Anne said...

Thank you so much!!!!