Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Impatient Quietness Quickly Subsides into Hopefulness


It is hot and dusty at the ball park this week.. The girls and I are sitting in our lawn chairs passing the time with popsicles and coloring books. Before long my daughter Sweet Pea announces "It is time momma!" Being the mother of a freshly potty trained three year old, I jump up running. Whew, we made it. I then hurry us along to wash our hands. How I had no idea the life lesson I was about to uncover. Reaching as high as she possibly can, Sweet Pea barley touches the soap dispenser. As I try to help her I hear "I can do it momma all by MEself!"
    Stepping back I breath and allow my independent Sweet Pea to find her way. Impatiently quiet, I stand and watch. She tries again, still unable to achieve her goal. My impatient quietness quickly subsides into hopefulness. I stand there hopeful for her success. How hard it is to see them fall. Although her willingness to try again amazed me.

     The Lord set me on pause, he allowed my mind to simplify.  My time was now developing into a moment. As the chaotic thoughts of ball practice and potty training disappeared into moments surrounding my daughter.  I could then see the commitment and determination painted across her face. In that moment I watched her try again.
This time jumping even higher and successfully receiving a hand full of soap.
Washing her hands she rubs and she scrubs every tiny area. Standing there it was almost as if my eyes were uncovering something for the first time. I was fully reveling a gift we were all once given. .
    Washing our hands is an ordinary daily task.. An effortless task for most of us. Our minds are full with everything that needs to happen in our busy life. Just as mine had been that very same day.
    Now questioning how often did I carry the same determination my three year old had displayed  in something as simple as hand washing, my answer was few and far between. I realized this gift slips away quickly. How I no longer see this in myself or even in our older children.
     I can honestly say I do take the time to sit and enjoy simplicity, the simplicity in laughter or a bird passing by. When it comes to the laundry, dishes and dusting I'm a freight train rolling past!  No time to stop and discover the details. I do what I can to get it done.
    As busy wives and mothers this is what we must do to make time for the good stuff, but I also remembered as I stood there watching what a gift it was to give something as simple as hand washing my all! In doing this we allow ourselves to find true accomplishment. Along with the peace and joy in my simple but daily task.. Task that are accomplished for the love and care of our family.
     Thanking the Lord for this moment to open my eyes and remember a gift I have left untouched for so many years.
      To my fellow friends as I know there is not enough time to practice this daily, but I encourage you to  rest your mind and immerse yourself in a daily task.. A task we would normally pass without seeing the gift it has to offer.
..................................................................................
 I can not leave without THANKING you for the supportive kind comments pertaining to the What's it going to take to make it work?, blog post. You did not state that we all have messy homes from time to time, asking what's the big deal. You recognized the dark chaotic cloud moving in. As you too have felt smothered by it at one time or another. Although I am the only wife and mother in this home striving to fulfill my role, it is nice to be reminded I am not alone. As I also pray for you and hope to always offer encouragement in your time of need.
There is light once more. Although I still do not have a summer agenda in the works, my home smells a little better.
My floors are clean, the laundry pile is downsizing and the over the top clutter is no longer filling my floors.
Thank you to my bloggy friend Sheri that posted a virtual list  and a fun way to get the kids inspired with a game of  "29 boogie time".   "29 boogie time" worked like a charm.
 I also wanted to let many of you know I am having a hard time commenting on  your blogs. Especially blogs that require a code or do not have the choice to click Anonymous.  Blogger will not keep me logged in. As soon as I hit enter it sends me to a log-in. After this it has me start my comment over,  only to send me through the same path. 
As I have so much to say on many of your post.
 Are any of you experiencing this as well? 
Blessings to you all, Catherine Anne

4 comments:

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

I loved this post so much - thank you for this reminder. Thanks for visiting my blog, and YES I have been having the same problem trying to leave comments, I wonder if this one will go through???

Anonymous said...

I wish all Kids had parents like you and Allen!!!!
Tamera

Heather said...

Catherine I loved this post. You've so nicely expressed what I have been trying to get myself to do this year. Oh, and yes, I have the same issue with leaving comments!

~Heather

Catherine Anne said...

So happy you could use it!